read in your language

Theatre Review - Hairspray

Theatre Review

Hairspray 

Stage 1 Theatre - Newark, CA

Reviewed By = Mauricio Segura

     Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Is about all I can say about Stage 1's theater production of Hairspray. I review approximately 30-40 community theater shows each year, and have done so for 8 years. I've seen a lot of great shows, I've seen a lot of flops, but it's rare to see a show that truly blows me away. The five Golden Bridge rating I'm giving to Hairspray I have only given to 6 other productions.

Set in 1962 Baltimore, “Hairspray” follows the life of a typical lovesick teenager, Tracy Turnblad. The highlight of her and her friend Penny Pingleton's lives is rushing home from school to watch the hit Corny Collins Dance Show. A spot soon opens up in the cast which she auditions for and wins. Once there however, she's introduced to the true colors of 60's segregation and sets a plan into motion to change the system and unite communities one side step and shimmy at a time.

This show had me tapping my feet from beginning to end, and I was truly disappointed when it finally ended. The set design, costumes, and lighting was spot on. And the orchestra with extended pit singers were simply flawless. Kudos to musical director/conductor Blair Barret and each talented musician. Major props also goes to choreographer Kevin Hammond and his team. What they pulled off merits a standing ovation from the folks down at Glee!

Of coarse, none of this would work if it wasn't for the cast. And while I wish I could single out each one since everyone on stage shined, I'll have to stick with some of the main characters for review length purposes. Jennifer Gregoire (Tracy Turnblad), was likable in every way. Great singing, great dancing, great acting, and great persona. Her portrayal of Tracy was in some ways even better than Nikki Blonky's portrayal in the movie. Dave Sikula (Edna Turnblad) was hilarious throughout. His/her duet with Charles Evans (Wilbur Turnblad), “Timeless to Me”, was a classic and a highlight of the evening. Rachel L. Jacobs' one-liners and gum chewing made Penny Pingleton one of the cutest ditsy nerds on any stage. Lastly, but by far not least, Sherrell-Lee Rogers (Motormouth Maybelle) and Lavale-William Davis (Seaweed Stubbs) supplied the soul food feast, while Luke Chapman (Link Larkin), Josh Milbourne (Corny Collins), and the rest brought it on home.

Hairspray in Newark is a definite Must-See! Absolutely the best live production I've seen in over a year. It will only be playing for two more weekends, so go on down there and enjoy a great night of live theater. Trust me, you'll be dancing in the aisles! 


Rating = 5 out of 5 Golden Bridges

Title = Hairspray
Genre = Musical
Theater/City = Stage 1 / Newark
Contact Phone = (510) 791-0287
Production Dates = Now through February 4, 2012 
Ticket Prices = $20 - $22 

No comments:

Post a Comment